Sunday, August 2, 2009

It Ain't Pretty


Sometimes I find myself in a funk for no good reason, like today. I have every reason to be in a good mood. I just returned from a good evening with friends that included watching the Red Sox win and pie, what else could a girl ask for? Instead I found myself grumpy. (my guess is actually lack of caffeine. Darn you coffee what have you done to me?!) This can go one of two ways for me: Way #1: I recognize and do something to slap myself out of it quickly OR Way #2: It's probably better for me to spend the day alone because no one is going to want to be around my mood. So, I got out of the house and tried #1. Nope, didn't cut it today. So, I resigned to #2. Having to do that only worsened the mood. This can only lead to things like stubbing my toe and spilling an entire bottle of water down the front of my shirt. Ugh, is it bedtime yet? Let's try out tomorrow please.
Then came dinner. Although I love to cook when I am in a mood all I want to do is grab a bowl of ice cream and call it a day. My psyche may thank me today for that decision, my butt won't thank me tomorrow- and I'm only trying to have one bad day thank you, so no. Also, I have a fridge full of food and leave shortly for vacay. So, I grumped my way into the kitchen to make myself a batch of what I like to call "everything in my fridge." Is it pretty? No. Would I serve this to you if you came to my house for dinner? Not on your life. Did it taste fantastic? You better believe it. Did it get me out of my funk? Oddly, yes. I may not be good at a lot of things, but I can figure out how to make something out of seemingly a whole lot of nothing. Tonight, I can make chickpeas and a banana pepper work together like no one else. There is something about a culinary success that turns my day around. I suddenly have the energy to rejoin society without telling everyone off.
Too bad it's now 8:30 at night.

1 comment:

  1. Making food is a reliable cure for an otherwise "eh" day. Your pasta salad looks yummy - love all the bright and different colors! And the addition of chickpeas... giving me inspiration for a salad of our own with some garden-fresh tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete