Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cali, Baby, Cali

Where do I even begin? Maybe with how this all came about- let us take a walk down memory lane shall we? So, this has been a particularly yucky year for me, topped off by a mini-sort of-midlife-crisis surrounding my 29th birthday (which in hindsight seems ridiculous now). My solution was to find some thrilling adventure to liven things up a bit. Now, I know I may not seem the thrill seeking type but do not let my preppy looks deceive you. I love a thrill. Give me any adventure and I'm there. Throw me out of a plane, send me down a river, I'll take it. Tell me I can't, won't or shouldn't and I'll be even more likely to do it- and just to one up you, I'll do it first. This need for adventure drives my poor mother crazy, but I figure you only get to live once right? I got it in my head that bungee jumping was what I needed to tackle next and I was determined to do it. So, mission #1: find someone willing to do this with me (because adventure is never as fun alone). Sadly most of friends are not the thrill seeking types, so I could easily check almost all of my female friends off the list of possibilities. Boys, however, are more likely to take you up on this type of adventure. Mission #1 was completed; Mike was in and I didn't even have to do any convincing- now that's my kind of friend. Mission #2: How many activities can you cram into 4 days? Well, if you're us, quite a few. So in four days we hit Stockton, Yosemite, Gold Country, Jumped off a bridge and San Francisco. So here are a few comments on each:

-Stockton: looks like this when you look it up on line. This is what it is really like. (read the crime section) Our hotel was on the same line as the Bates Motel. I thought we were going to get jacked in the night. Take my advice and avoid like the plague. Do not convince yourself that driving half way to Yosemite after being on a plane is smarter than just driving the whole way- in this case it was not.

-Yosemite: Is beautiful. My love of photography was on overload. Big trees, big rock formations, curvy roads. Apparently there were also bears, which we could not find anywhere. I wish there had been more time to see it all. Only downside was people everywhere.

-Gold County: is interesting. There are some cute little towns but it seems as though they haven't quiet figured out how to really make them all that interesting. The area is pretty and very peaceful, and historic.

-Bungee Jumping: is excellent. It is a total rush. Where we jumped was remote and beautiful. It was a feeling I will never forget and hope to repeat. I got a little banged up, pretty much due to user error, but nothing too bad and very worth it.

-San Francisco: is a pretty cool city. It seems like 90% of the city has an amazing view that I am admittedly jealous of. I would hate to drive/park there, no doubt about it. Although I saw so much of the city, again I wish I had had more time there.

Then came the problem of trying to decide which pictures to post here. Too many good ones, and posting pictures of the bungee were a no go. So hopefully these will do... (you have to click on the collage to really get a good look)

So, all in all, I give California an A. Bungee jumping definitely A++++. Now I just have to figure out what adventure to tackle next...

No comments:

Post a Comment