Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Hiking We Will Go...

Websters says:

Hike (verb): to walk or march a great distance, esp. through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.

Urban Dictionary (just for fun, I looked it up) says:
hiking: 1. walking where it's okay to pee. 2. To crack a joke on someone or something. ex:Yo, they was hiking this dude down about his clothes. 3.A common euphemism for having sex/having an affair. This term was popularized by Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina, who went missing for several days and informed the public he was hiking 4. outdoors, that is, usually not on your property. This is impossible in urban areas, because being undetected is a top priority 5.when you and your girlfriend hang out in the middle of the night while naked (or the guy can wear boxers). Ex: Me and Jenny were hiking last night and it was phat.

* I didn't make these up I took the definitions, and their examples straight off the site.

wow, urban dictionary, you sure know how to ruin a word. We went hiking, in the Websters dictionary definition way, this morning. Which made me SOOOO happy because I LOOOVE to hike. I have this thing about having to get away from DC every once in a while. The NOVA/DC area can really bog you down sometimes. Too much traffic, too many people, just too much everything. One thing I really like about where I live is that a good get away is never too far away. I've been wanting to hike Old Rag all summer, but alas most of my friends work all week and I won't do longer hikes alone. Lucky for me, Becca is a good friend. Becca is a great best friend who will let me wake her up at 6:30 a.m. so that she can sit in a car and try to read my messy handwriting and bad directions. (best line of the day? Becca at 6:45 a.m. - "I love you, but I don't like you right now.") A good friend who will deal with me stopping twice to make sure I am going the right way because I am pretty sure but not 100% (I blame google maps, worst directions EVER.) A friend that will deal with me repeatedly pointing out the beautiful view. A friend who put up with swarms of bugs that kept attacking her, and some pretty nasty heat and humidity. For me, it was a great day. A good hike that wasn't hard, but wasn't so easy that I felt like I was taking a stroll, you had to work for it a bit. A good drive and plenty of singing at the top of my lungs. Bonus: lunch in a very cute little town. Minus: we could not find a dairy queen (why are they not everywhere?!).

Yay for a fun day, boo that it was probably one of my last fun times of the summer. As of Monday, I am a working girl again.

No comments:

Post a Comment