Monday, March 14, 2011

Not funny. Still in the blog.

Do you know what is not funny? Having your basement flood twice in one weekend when it's not even raining. To top off an already looonnnnngggg week, I returned home Friday night and realized that while my heat was on, the radiators weren't hot. Curious. I walked into the basement to check the furnace to make sure the pilot light was not out. It was out. Because it was under a foot and a half of water. I felt so defeated.

No heat. No hot water. Great. I called the man who sold me my house (because seriously, the sump pump should last more than 3 months). He was out of town and told me to get a bucket and go buy another sump pump at home depot. So there I was, Saturday morning, unshowered, in my PJs, at the home depot just staring at the sump pumps. I picked one. The plumber came by on Saturday and said 'I am sure the floater is just blocked'. I had to resist the urge to cut and explained that I checked that before and I had to cut off the power to the house to walk down in the basement and pick up the pieces of the pump that came off in my hand. When he went down to look, he said, "oh man. This is much worse than I thought.' Indeed, good sir.

He left me a back up pump and a hose and told me to let it run and he would be back on Monday at 8 am (ha! i believed him!!!). It took 3 hours to pump the water out of the basement. I finished, went to my parents house, took a hot shower, went to bed.

When I came back the next morning, I checked the basement....annnndddd....it had flooded again. So, I hooked back up the pump. Great. Later, I met my girls for dinner in Shirlington, thinking, I hope it doesn't flood while I am gone. I get on the road to go home and I get PULLED OVER. I haven't done anything but I start to panic because I had a drink before dinner about 4 hours before. The cop comes up and tells me that my plate is pulling up on the system as fake. DC has registered my car wrong. I have never been so happy to see a Monday. The plumber is here, I have heat! This weekend however? Blew.

No comments:

Post a Comment