Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Heart N.Y.?!

I know, I know, the title threw you for a loop didn't it? Yes, this self proclaimed hater who for years has been trash talking all that is New York, is singing a different tune. Now, in my own defense I began to cast aside my hateful ways a few summers ago during a short visit, but let's be honest, I am not so easily wooed. So when my wonderful roommate suggested that a group of us take a trip to the Statue of Liberty to make the trek up to the crown, I was feeling a little wishy washy. I knew I had to make the trip, I mean it did sound like a pretty cool thing to do, but I usually find myself more stressed out when I go to NY for a break then I did before I left. Well people here it is in writing, I was wrong. Yes, I said it and now you have proof. I had fun, and lots of it. I actually took the day off work (gasp) and headed up early morning to spend some time with my homegirl Erin. Quite possibly one of the craziest people I know, and quite possibly one of the most fun people I know. I knew 2 things: 1. I was going to be up very late that night. 2. There would be a bar involved. Check to both. When I say late I mean LATE, as in I got home at 3:30. This evening was also made better by my friend Sheila coming into to town from Boston for this adventure and my homegirl Meghan trainin' it in from Astoria for the night. Good times that night, SOOOO tired the next morning when I met the rest of my group for the statue. I did get to see this...
Kinda cool huh? I highly recommend the trip to the crown-do it, just do it. They are going to close it down and then you will wish you had listened to me...just climb up these...

We tried to make it to Ellis Island, but alas it was closed due to a power outage-FAIL. So Sheila and I went and got these instead...
I love you Billy's Bakery. Check it out. These were yummy and the frosting was perfect. Love, love, love. Did I say love enough? Had one (eh hem, 2) of these, explored times square in all its glory, and took in a show. Nice.
I think I have always pushed back at New York, because as you may well know, I love DC. I think it is such a beautiful city. New York is like a piece by Crash, it's loud, colorful and intriguing. You can't help but find it interesting. D.C. on the other hand is all green grass and cherry blossoms, historical buildings and beautiful architecture. Sorry, I am probably putting DC on an unnecessary pedestal. Believe me I see its faults (metro I'm looking at you). I guess I had to learn to love the differences.
So New York, you have won me over. I can't wait til we meet again.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, let's meet NY again... next time during the Christmas season... oh, and we might have to go search out a certain Statue of Liberty security guard for our entertainment.

    SO.MUCH.FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara had an egg in her pocket. I'm pretty sure Sarah could not have wiped the smile off her face, even if you had waved a legal brief in front of her. And I am now a fully formed Wicked addict. I think it's safe to say it was an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete