Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hello Winter


Isn't it pretty? I LOVE the snow! I was pretty excited yesterday when the weather report called for flurries. I was not however expecting this. I will also admit that I was not super excited this morning when the snow was pouring down and I was outside running a 5k. Oh yes, I was up at 5:45 a.m. to run in the snow. See my school participates in this great program called Girls On The Run. 3rd-5th grade girls practice after school once a week with the goal of running the 5k reindeer romp race. It promotes healthy living and self-confidence and it's a great sense of accomplishment for the girls. Right, why was I there? Clearly I am not in 5th grade. Well, each girl has a buddy runner along for some encouragement, meaning teachers and parents volunteer to get their run on. I totally feel for my little buddy runner because I know I can be all types of annoying when I snap into encouraging cheerleader mode. Sometime I have to much energy and excitement for my own good. If I was 8 years old, cold and tired of running I would have wanted to kill me. Running in the snow may be freezing cold (my toes are still recovering) but it is quite beautiful.

After I made it home and had a very hot shower and some much needed coffee I headed to the kitchen. I have been dying to make these chocolate peppermint bark cookies that I found in my Bon Appetit this month. I vowed not to start in on the Christmas cookies until December (I mean the magazine came last month, that is self control!) and today was a PERFECT kick off to the holiday baking season. So forget the fact that I really need a nap. Forget the fact that I have a research paper due on Wednesday. The need for cookies did (as it should) take priority.

Man Christmas cookies I am so glad it is time for you because you taste AMAZING. So long pumpkin, you've been replaced. Hey there winter, it's so nice to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment