Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Last Aloha

Crazy how fast 7 weeks can go. Crazy that I have 3 1/2 days left in Hawaii. 3 1/2 people! What?!
My last few weeks in Hawaii have been pretty fun though, take a look...

Our garden continues in its awesomeness. These tomatoes are gorgeous, and were promptly eaten by the birds. Fail. Net= smart move.


Look at my rockstar. He has pods! Pods that will soon be ready to harvest. When I am in VA. That's okay though, he still rocks.


I went to this beautiful beach. I got badly sunburned. I seriously look like I have some strange skin disease. Off in the distance we saw the Black Pearl from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, (they are filming the next one here now) but I didn't have my good camera with me so I couldn't get a picture of it. The beach is a good second best.


Nick took me to a super fancy brunch at a fancy hotel. We still talk about the food because it was that good. The hotel also had lots of fish and turtles and DOLPHINS. Awesome.





I want to rub his belly. Is the weird?



Then we went hiking. We saw a crashed helicopter. It was being filmed the next day for an episode of Hawaii 5-O. We hiked through lots and lots of mud. I have not seen that much mud since the rainy season in Kenya. There was also a waterfall, and bamboo forest and very cool trees like this one.




This is us at the top- don't we look sweaty? Too bad you can't see our feet, it would help you believe that I am not over exaggerating about the mud.


This past Sunday we went on another hike. Ka'ena is the westernmost tip of the island. It is one of the more beautiful hikes I have done. I took lots of pictures. Nick patiently stood there while I took lots of pictures. He's a nice guy like that.


Can you see me? I am standing on this arch. Looking slightly awkward. There were some closer ups taken. Like I said, looking slightly awkward, so instead take in the scenery.



The coolest part, minus the majesty and beauty, is that the point is a natural area reserve. Albatrosses nest there. In holes in the sand. It is very hard to take a picture of a bird in a deep hole. I tried and failed. There are also monk seals. They are cute, and fat and lazy. Nick said I was not allowed to go and hug them.

I have no complaints, it has been a pretty amazing summer. I've seen and done some pretty cool things, met some pretty great people, and grown to love it here. So, Aloha for now Hawaii- but I'll be back.










No comments:

Post a Comment